The People’s Paris Climate Agreement
By our signature we agree as citizens of the United States to strive for the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement.
These goals are:
- Holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, recognizing that this would significantly reduce the risks and impacts of climate change;
- Increasing the ability to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and foster climate resilience and low greenhouse gas emissions development, in a manner that does not threaten food production;
- Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development.”
We the people will work as individuals, members of religious organizations, and citizens of towns, cities, states, and our country to achieve these goals. We will take the steps in our individual power and work to enable, educate, and influence those around us.
We have the power to make meaningful changes in the climate by the actions and choices we make:
- We will seek to reduce consumption of electricity by using modern lighting and efficient appliances
- We will appropriately insulate our home and use energy judiciously
- We will make energy conscious transportation choices – efficient vehicles, public transport, and assist others in this endeavor
- We will actively seek to use renewable power. There are renewable energy sources available to all of us.
- We will continue to productively raise our voices in our towns, state, and national forums to urge conservation and clean energy choices.
- We will treat our natural environment with respect – starting with our own homes by minimizing use of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
- We know that spending is voting. Our personal choices of foods, housing, transport, clothing, electronics will be made consciously with attention to their impact on the planet. We know that if we don’t buy it they won’t make it.
- We see that this broken environment is a symptom of a broken spirit. We will care for our own spirit – and seek healing for ourselves and those around us.
- We can make a difference. We will make a difference.